Monday, January 25, 2021

Sugar and Spice

These lovely young beauties are our daughters. We also have three boys, but tonight, I want to talk about my girls.

It's been over thirty years since our first adoptions and over twenty years since our last. How did this happen? I know old people say things like where has the time gone, and life is short, but here's the truth. Old people aren't wrong and I am now one of them.

I don't feel old most days. As long as I avoid all mirrors, I'm pretty well convinced that I'm still quite the hip chick. I remember my mother saying she never felt older than twenty and she was eighty when she said that. How does life pass so quickly without us noticing?

I'm not going to go into a lot of details about our girls adoptions because I've already told those stories.

Dream a Little Dream of Me

This Isn't the Chocolate Factory and I Am Not Willy Wonka

The Parent Trap

Surprise! It's A Girl!


What I want to say tonight is how much I love these people and how grateful I am God trusted me with them. He wasn't saving them. He was saving me. I feel that way about all seven of our children. They saved me and continue to do so daily.

Our oldest daughter is exactly who I needed in my life. She is my voice of reason child. She is extremely slow to anger and quick to forgive. She has always had wisdom far beyond her years. We can vehemently disagree and we have and yet, because of who she is, I have never doubted her love for me or her loyalty to me. I love this girl completely and I am grateful.

Our second daughter is my hippie child. She is the one that amazes me with her faith in God and His ability to work everything out for our good. No matter what darkness is swirling in the air, she is the calm in the middle of the storm. We had some rough years and I was fearful we might never be close. I was so wrong. I love this girl with everything in me and feel her love in return. I am thankful.

Our third daughter is probably the most like me in so many ways. She is the one that worries and frets the most and yet, she is also the one that can make me laugh the loudest. She is a fighter. She faces life's challenges exactly like a boxer. She is in the ring ready to win. If she gets knocked down, watch out because she is coming back stronger in the next round. I love this girl so much and am so proud of her. She reminds me to never give up. I am inspired.

Our youngest daughter is also the baby of our family. I have loved this child from the beginning and I will love this child to the end. Our journey together hasn't been easy but it's also not over. She has sent me to my knees when my faith was the weakest. She is my reminder that there is always hope. Faith, hope and love....but the greatest of these is love. I love this girl and I am hopeful.

Miranda Nicole, Elizabeth Ann, Belen Marie and Rachel Patrice. My girls 💗