Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Snips and Snails

 So, last night was an entire post on the oldest child of the family. The one that has consistently stated through his 42 years that he should have been an only child. Yeah, that one. Tonight is about the other two. You know, the ones that ruined his only child streak after two short years. 

See that pretty boy on the left? That's our John. The Golden Child. The one we refer to as John and Jesus. It started when my mother was dying. We brought her home from the hospital and had Hospice set up. It was an overwhelming sad time in our family. Until John and Jesus showed up, that is. We had set beds up in my parents big den so my mom would be the center of all activity as she had always been and also so I could sleep next to her at night. In the middle of all the chaos of getting the room arraigned, my mother made sure that 8x10s of her two favorite people were hung over the sliding glass doors at the foot of her bed. Yep, John and Jesus, in that order. Over her remaining weeks here on earth, my mother lingered in and out of awareness, as the house filled with people, flowers, animals, music and food, exactly the way she liked it. People came in and played the piano and guitar for her. We blasted her beloved Swiss music. It was a constant party with laughter and conversations surrounding her, because we knew she was listening. And always, my mother, although not fully conscious, would tap her foot to the music and give a crooked smile every time someone walked in the room, looked at the pictures over the sliding doors and gave out a hearty, "Hey John and Jesus!" 

I know John doesn't really compare to Jesus, but he is pretty great. This is the kid that never forgets my birthday or Mother's Day, even when he's been overseas. This is my tender-hearted child that the military has taught to be tough, but I still see my sweet boy even if he pretends to hate it. He has been so good and kind and generous to his dad and I and he didn't have to. I love this kid so much and I don't know what I'd do without him. Although, letting me roll down the driveway in the wheelchair at Andrew's house was not very John and Jesus of him. I'm just saying.

See the hippie standing next to John and Jesus? That's our baby boy. The Drewdie McPootersen. The kid who, from what his brother stands by, liked to beat up bigger kids who were bullying him. The tough guy. Yeah, not even. Andrew is the sweetest, funniest, most loving and caring kid. He's the favorite uncle because he acts crazy around the nieces and nephews. He is the one that is in a constant state of pulling the family together to one place. He couldn't wait to get away from us at eighteen. Now, he's begging us to come stay with his family or dropping in at our house for surprise visits. He tends to be like his mom and grandma in that he believes in the more the merrier. He is the reason I was able to visit Australia for 5 weeks. He's also the reason for one of my tattoos. He's pretty much a male version of his Aunt Kelly, truth be told. I adore this kid and am so incredibly proud of who he is. 


This picture was taken right after John's graduation ceremony from the Naval Academy. A few years down the road, all three boys became pilots. John and Matthew, helicopter pilots in the Navy and Army. Andrew is a corporate pilot. Well done, gentlemen. Your granddads would be so proud.

I had a conversation this evening with someone that was saying how much easier life must be for people who choose not to have kids. All I know is my sister regretted that choice at the end of her life and it broke my heart for her. I have no regrets. I am so happy I made the choices I made to have the family I have. I wouldn't give up any of it. 




4 comments:

Lillian Robinson said...

Will there be a part-two explanation of the wheelchair story?

Keely's said...

You have such an amazing family and I love your stories! You are all so blessed ❤️

Marla Hansen said...

Lily, I never say never.

Wendy, WE have an amazing family and WE are blessed. You and yours are right in that mix with us, dear cousin. Did I ever tell you, I have a framed picture of the four of you in my living room. It's been there for years. It reminds me to pray for you and be thankful for who my family is made up of. Thank you for reading my nonsense. It means a lot to me. I love you.

Unknown said...

Love Love Love, Marla ❤ Cousin Karen