Saturday, January 23, 2021

She Thinks She's the Boss of Me cuz She's Old

My older sister, Char, called me today and after a 90-minute conversation, I'm pretty sure we solved the woes of this world. Now, we just have to figure out a way to get people to bend to our wisdom. Think Darth Vader and Megamind team up to save the world. 

After we hung up, I tried to remember the last time I actually saw Char. It's been two years. That is absolutely wrong. How in the hell can two years have passed since we were together? Effn covid. You don't deserve capital letters in my world. 

Our last big hurrah together was Christmas and New Years' Eve 2018 in New York. Manhattan, to be exact. Bob and I met Bob and Char there for 8 amazing days. It was so cold, and colorful, and exciting. We all love New York and had planned this trip together for a very long time. I'm so grateful we finally did it. 

My sister is one of my best friends and all-time favorite people on this planet. She's everything I'm not and I wouldn't change a thing about her. Char is common sense and kindness whereas I'm foolishness and sarcasm. She's manicures and shopping. I'm short nails and dirt-digging. She's cats and I'm chickens. I could go on but the important thing is this. She has always loved and accepted me exactly as I am. She might try to brush my hair, give me bangs and take me shopping with a mani/pedi thrown in for good measure every time we're together but she never tries to actually change who I am at my core. That's a gift we should all be willing to give. Acceptance.

I remember calling Char a few weeks after Kelly died and crying into the phone. I felt guilty that Kelly had died and I was still here. Kelly and Char were alike. They did all the stupid girl stuff together that I hate. I was overcome by the thought that Char would never have a sister to do those things with. Not one that loved it the way they did. Her response was classic. She let me know I was a moron and to stop crying. She insisted me being the dead sister would be no better than Kelly being the dead sister. She was right, of course. Death sucks, no matter who goes first or last. She also let me know we would be doing all the stupid girl stuff together. I hate when she threatens me.

Anyway, I miss her and I really want to go see her. It needs to be soon. She's not getting any younger. Make sure you tell her I said so. 


One of these things is not like the other.






5 comments:

Maureen said...

Hey!watch who you are calling old! Char and I have to stick together and we can still kick your butt and yes, we are still the bosses no matter how old you are!

Lillian Robinson said...

It's a law of nature: she is the boss. The upside: they serve wine with your pedi.

Keely's said...

I love you both and I love your writing too, you really should write a book. If you come to LA to visit, let us know ❤️

Janice Harington said...

You might not be like each other, but you sure can tell you are sisters! I remember all the many stories you told about Char when you guys were growing up.....I was so impressed by how much you adored her....she is one lucky girl to be loved by you!

Marla said...

Maureen, I'm still scared of both of you!

Lily, wine makes it all better.

Wendy!! Thank you and we love you. So much. I will definitely let you know when we make it out there again.

My Janice! I love you.