Tuesday, January 5, 2021

I Might Be Moving!

 So, funny story. I might be here illegally. 

My grandparents, Pedro and Ascencion, came by boat from Spain to Vera Cruz, Mexico in 1912. This newspaper clipping I found in my mother's "treasures" says so. Actually, it says Pedro and Beatriz but I have never, in 62 years, ever once heard my grandmother referred to as Beatriz. Her name was Ascencion but her family called her Conchita. So my dad said anyway. He also said he held back 200 Japanese soldiers single-handedly in WWII and the hole in his t-shirt was where he was shot through the heart during his heroic effort to save the world from speaking Japanese. But I digress.

Anyway, my dad, Carlos Francisco, also known as Charles but never "Charley" because, per Carlos Francisco, Charley was his horse, not his name....what was I saying? 

Oh yeah, my grandparents, Pedro and Ascencion Casas settled in Mexico in 1912 after immigrating from Spain. Eight years later, on June 11th, 1920, their youngest child, my father, Carlos Francisco, was born in Douglass, Arizona. I have always known these facts. What I couldn't ever get a clear answer to was how did they get across the border? I'm digging through the ancient treasure trove of paperwork right now to see if I can find anything that would clear this up, once and for all.

I've got to be honest, I'm hoping I'm here illegally. I'm ready to do the right thing and turn myself in. Once I'm officially deported back to Spain, come visit. I'll be in a little villa with room for visitantes. 



This is another little blurb from the newspaper article on Don Johnson from yesterday's post. Just in case you were wondering. You're welcome.

2 comments:

Kathryn Brady said...

❤️

Lillian Robinson said...

As I was reading, I was thinking, "if she got deported, I could visit somewhere wonderful!"