Sunday, January 3, 2021

Speaking of Mexico

While we're on the subject of Mariachis and my crazy parents, allow me to share a few additional photos. Yes, I must. You can thank me later. You're welcome.


This is my Uncle Ray however I'm not sure who the senorita is. Next, my mother in her giant sombrero with my WWII Navy uniform wearing dad. This was taken in 1940. It was the beginning of yearly visits to Tijuana for our family. We loved the place. I seriously grew up visiting several times a year. It's where I learned how to bargain like I was the queen of the bedouin gypsies. My mother taught me that. Thanks, mom! It's come in handy through the years. 



This is my honorably discharged from the Navy daddio in the 1950's. Back in Tijuana because, hey, it's what we Casas' did for a good time. My dad was always up for a good time and that meant making sure everyone with him had just as much fun. He was hilarious. I miss him but I see that crazy, fun-loving part of him in our son, Andrew. I'm grateful because the party continues.




See the Senora with the big smile in the middle? That's my mother. She's usually pretty easy to find in a photo because of that smile. It's the smile I inherited from her. I'm so thankful for that. Anyway, this was from the 1980's. The gal sitting next to my mom was a family friend. I say was because her family did my dad dirty in a business deal so obviously, we no longer consider them friends. That's how it works. You mess with one, the whole family goes Godfather on you. That's another story for another day. Anyway, that's my cousin Elvira sitting on the donkey. She was visiting my parents from Spain so obviously, my mom had to take her to TJ to sit on a donkey, right?


This is my dad in the 1980's in Tijuana with some of his business associates and a shoeshine boy. My dad did a lot of business in Mexico and loved to have his shoes shined at every opportunity. He also loved photo ops so what better idea than to buy hats and have a photo taken on a local bench with a local shoeshine boy with that silly smirk on your face. Old people were so weird when I was young. I get you now, dad and I'm following in your footsteps, smirk and all.


Finally, a picture of my mother and our cousins in the 1990's. Alma and Elbio were visiting from Switzerland. My mother wasn't able to get them to TJ due to time constraints and such so she brought Tiajuana to them. I mean, come on! What good Italian Swiss doesn't want to wear a sombrero in public?

I have more photos of Mexico, many with me striking the same poses as my mother and father above. I think I'll save those for another day. Adios!








2 comments:

Lillian Robinson said...

Awesome sauce. I recognized that smile.

Kathryn Brady said...

This is so cool!