Sunday, January 10, 2021

All Creatures Great and Small

 Tonight, after watching the new MasterPiece Theater series, All Creatures Great and Small, Bob turned to me and said, "You should have been a vet." 

Honestly, that has to be one of the nicest things I have ever heard my husband say to me, and believe me, he says some pretty great stuff. But telling me I should have been a vet reminded me that he really sees me for who I am. I forget who I am sometimes and not just because I'm a bit scattered and on the downhill slide. Life just has a way of distracting you now and then. Especially right now.

Anyway, I got to thinking about my love for animals and trying to remember when it started. I can't pinpoint a time because I really believe it began at the same time I did. It's just always been there. I am happiest when I'm surrounded by critters. I don't even care what kind. I just love them and they seem to like me just fine, as well. I'm more comfortable with animals than I am with most people. The older I get, the more ok I am with that.


2 year old me with our parakeet, Pepsi. I remember loving that bird, even as a 2 year old. He loved to take showers in the kitchen sink and I loved sitting on the counter watching him.



This is 3 year old me with a neighbors puppy. See that face? I still make that face when I hold a puppy.



This is one of my favorite memories. I was 4 years old, staying on the ranch with Aunt Meta and Uncle Lorin. They had an old cow horse named Pokey. I loved that horse! Aunt Meta would give me Pokey's blanket and tell me to go get him and I'd head for the barn, She was always right behind me but I wasn't a bit afraid to round up that sweet old boy. I had wonderful pictures of me riding Pokey when I was a kid. He wore a straw hat and was the most handsome horse I had ever seen. A tornado snatched those photos and scattered them to who knows where so I'm extremely grateful to still have this one photo with all the memories securely attached. 

My favorite place on earth as a kid was my Aunt Meta's ranch. She always had chickens, cows, sheep, cats, and dogs. Oh, and Willa Mae, the monkey that wore dresses. To be left at Aunt Meta's for the summer was like dying and going to heaven. I seriously wanted to live there with my aunt. She understood me and allowed me to run amock all over that ranch. I'm pretty sure when we were sneaking animals in the house, she knew it all along but allowed it none the less. Aunt Meta was the best!

8 year old me with my cousin, Kathy Casas' puppy. 1966



10 year old me with my Uncle Swiss and his chihuahua. I loved my Uncle Swiss. He was my mother's brother and one of the kindest, most generous people I ever knew. He also loved animals and would baby talk with them. It was pretty hilarious when I was a kid. Now I do the same thing. I have some great stories about my Uncle Swiss. I just might share a few one of these days.



14 year old me with my second horse. He was a Tennessee Walker and I loved riding him. I would disappear for hours and be absolutely happy riding through the high desert with this boy. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans had a ranch about half a mile from my parent's place so that was always a destination. It was a great way to grow up as an animal-loving kid.


20 year old pregnant me with Aunt Sisi's kitty. He was a good old boy and obviously not afraid of gypsies.

This is 40 something-year-old me on Christmas morning. I was delivering presents to my best friends. In my pajamas. And slippers. Before I fed my human family. Don't judge me.



This is how I sleep. Every. Single. Night.


This is 60 something-year-old me. I was at our son Andrew's house and we decided to watch a movie. Then this happened. Nono loves you too, Ollie.



I love Europe because.....cows.

Anyway, yeah, the vet thing would have been great except for the math, science, blood, and people part. Oh, and if you like animals, watch Masterpiece Theaters latest, All Creatures Great and Small. It was really good tonight. I can't wait for the next episode. And read all the books! They are amazing.

2 comments:

Lillian Robinson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lillian Robinson said...

I should really re-read the second half of this. I wasn't really paying attention. My mind keep saying, "seriously? Right down the road from Roy Rogers?" And I want to see that puppy face in person.