Thursday, January 7, 2021

Laughter is the Best Medicine

I had a wonderful conversation with two of my cousins this evening. We spoke of so much loss, recent and past that I may have shed a few tears. But we also laughed. There is nothing that compares to laughing with those that know you best and have walked through this life with you from the beginning. Some of those walks were through valleys, but many more were through incredibly happy days. The daily stuff that makes up life. The stuff we don't realize is so important until it's in the past. Those days. How I miss those days.

A few things really struck me after we hung up. The first is how family stories are so different depending on who is telling them and what they heard plus who they've heard it from. All three of us took turns sharing the story of our grandparents, Pedro and Ascencion Casas; how they met, their life in Spain and then later in Mexico, the children they had and where they were born, and more. I haven't laughed this well in awhile. Three very different stories and I loved it! We all obviously loved it by the laughter that followed after each telling. Bits and pieces matched up. I mean, we all agreed on our grandparent's names at least! But the telling of the rest was pure delight and I am so grateful for this time.

The one thing we all know for sure is this. Our grandparents loved one another and we are who we are because of who they were. I grew up feeling sad that I never knew my grandmothers and only had my one grandfather for a few short years before he died. It has affected my entire life, wishing I had what I saw others had with their grandparents. Until tonight. Tonight, I realized for the first time how very present in my life Pedro and Ascencion have always been. Our family, beginning with our parents, made sure they were very much a part of all of us. Now, we're doing the same thing. Keeping them alive in the family with our mismatched stories and faded photographs. Recipes and jewelry, rosaries, and prayer cards continue to be passed down to the next generation just as they were passed down to mine. I am so grateful and proud to have grandparents. Life is good, even when it isn't. 



                                           Pedro Casas and Ascencion Prieto ~ Wedding Photo 
                                                   We believe the date is 06/28/1909 in Spain


                                                                         Pedro Casas


                                                                    Ascencion Casas


                                                   Pedro Casas and Ascencion Casas~1927
                                                                  Corona, California


                                                       Ascencion Casas and Pedro Casas
                                                       Pico St in Los Angeles, California


                                                        Ascencion Casas and Pedro Casas
                                       Fishing in Mexico with Uncle Pete and Aunt Charlotte


                                                         Ascencion Casas and Pedro Casas
                                                     My favorite picture of my grandparents!
                                                  I use to hide this under my pillow as a kid.


                                                 Pedro Casas and Ascencion Casas~1950s
                                                                    


















2 comments:

Andrea said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Marla, a few I hadn't seen. I never knew either one of my great-grandparents yet I see my Nana and my Dad in them. <3

Marla Hansen said...

I have more I'll post along the way. If you see any you want copies of, just say the word, dear cousin. Love you, Andrea.