Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Mr. and Mrs. Fritze

This is another photo from last night's treasure hunt. The picture was taken at Mr. and Mrs. Fritze's house six houses up the street from our house. The neighbors got together and threw a surprise anniversary party for them. At their house. That is hilarious! I loved both of these people. They were also my family. 

I knew every inch of that house having spent almost as much time there as in my own home. I sometimes still dream about being there, walking through the rooms. It was a wonderful place for me with Grandma Davi ironing in the kitchen and always cooking something authentically Italian.Their daughter Patty was my best friend then and is now officially my sister-friend. She is stuck with me forever. Patty has two brothers as well, so we would play war in their backyard jungle or set up disgusting halloween fun in the garage. Patty always seemed to have puppies or kittens so how could I not love being there. 



Mr. Fritze was one of the kindest people. I really don't believe he had a mean bone in his body. He wasn't a suit and tie guy like my dad. If I remember correctly, he was a truck driver and was always bringing home something exciting for us kids, like a converted van camper. When he was home, we would run to him begging for money for the ice cream truck and he'd come up with some plan for us to earn the cash. I seem to recall getting a nickel for every palm frond we picked up from the front yard lawn. We'd deliver our yard work labor and he'd deliver the ice cream money. He liked Johnny Cash and would let us play his records in the living room. This was quite thrilling to ten year olds especially when Mr. Cash cussed at the end of one of his songs. I remember Patty, Kelly and I laughing hysterically, like we had just gotten away with murder. Which actually could have come from us listening to Folsom Prison Blues. Hey, it was the 1960's and parents weren't helicopters back in the day. Children, like us, ran in little neighborhood gangs from house to house and when asked what we were up to it usually involved food, swimming or lemonade stand wars. The lemonade stand war of 1969 was especially brutal. But that also is a story for another day.

One of my favorite memories of Mr. and Mrs. Fritze is when they would play cards with my mother. My dad traveled a lot with his work, so it would be my mom and the Fritzes playing cards at our kitchen table. They might start sometime after dinner and Kelly, Patty and I would be running amuck in the house, eating, watching Twilight Zone, making up dance routines and reading comic books. These card games were epic and would go on into the wee hours of the morning. The three of us girls just kept on with our struggle to be the last one awake. 

Mrs. Fritze was my moms Tijuana travel buddy. The two moms would load the five of us kids into the Fritzes station wagon and off we'd go. Forget seatbelts. We were all over that wagon like it was a playground. We'd get a hotel room in San Diego for the night and then cross the border in the morning. It was non-stop shopping and bargaining all day long and we loved it. My mother was fluent in Spanish so it made for easy transactions. Then, towards evening, we'd head back to the hotel for one last night of swimming and sleeping before heading home. 

It all seems like a dream now when I think back on everything. Like a wonderfully amazing dream.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were so damn lucky to grow up during the late 60’s into the 70’s. Remember when we got Kelly’s head stuck in the back window of the station wagon? Who leaves kids in the car to mess around with the controls?? And the van my dad converted to a camper with bunks on chains that flipped down. That camper went everywhere in the summer. I dream of both our houses. I could probably draw floor plans just from memory. Your stories open up the memories for all of us. Keep writing. It’s definitely a calling for you.

Marla said...

We were absolutely the lucky ones. And yes! I remember Kelly's head getting rolled up in the window. I remember you're mom losing her marbles on poor Jerry for it. I felt so sorry for him. I mean, come on. It was an accident. Who hasn't rolled up on a friend now and then. haha
That converted van was the best. I wanted to go camping in it so bad but I was happy your dad allowed us to play in it.
Me too on the floor plans. I have done that in my head so many times, gone room by room just remembering the great feeling of those homes. We were so lucky to have one another and each others families.
Thank you for the encouragement. I'm trying.

Anonymous said...

Okay, do you remember we would close all the doors to the hallway in my house and play in the dark with a Ouija board? Was it that or something else. And make the gummy creepy crawlers that we could eat. I guess that was the best part of me having two parents who worked. No one home to monitor the daily shenanigans of happily unsupervised children.

Marla said...

Do I remember? I still have nightmares over some of the crap we use to do. hahahaha