Sunday, March 28, 2021

Letting Go Isn't Giving Up

Sometimes in life you have to let go of people you love. It's the kindest thing you can do. It won't feel kind and you might be accused of being anything but kind. Regardless, when everything in you is telling you it's time, let go.

I have recently come to the end of a very long journey and have had to let go. This isn't easy and definitely not what I would have hoped for. In fact, I have done nothing but hope for years. Against all odds and more advice than I asked for. It just wasn't time yet.

It's time now. 

I feel a relief that I wasn't quite expecting to feel. It's as if I've been dragging a gunny sack behind me and adding grief and disappointment to it year after year. This isn't mine to carry or empty any longer. Actually, it never was. Once I made the conscious decision to let go of it, everything in life felt different.

Letting go is not the same as giving up. I will never give up praying and hoping. 

This isn't the first relationship I have had to let go of. It may not be the last either, although I hope it is. Either way, I am grateful for the lessons learned. I hope I've learned them well.

I got my first tattoo after my sister died. This may be hard to understand but it brings me comfort and has actually evolved in meaning through the years. It's bringing me comfort again, reminding me in letting go, everything really will be alright. 





2 comments:

Keely's said...

❤️ I got my one and only tattoo after I lost Conor. It makes me sad and smile at the same time and warms my heart when people acknowledge it 💙

Marla said...

This makes perfect sense to me because I feel the same way about mine. It's so interesting that a tattoo I got for my sister continues to bring me comfort in other relationship losses, as well. It's such an important reminder to me to keep going and I really need that, some days more than others. Love you.