Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Uncle Archie

These are the only two photos I have of my Uncle Archie. He was only sixteen years old when he died. My mother was thirteen. It's a very short, sad story but the only one I ever knew about him. My mother would periodically tell the story out of the blue. I think it bothered her for her entire life.


Aunt Zora, Aunt Meta, Aunt Hazel (Back Row)
Kelly Mederos, Bernice (my mom), Uncle Archie (Front Row)
Joey Mederos (Bottom) Approx 1925


Bernice Walter (my mother) in the backseat
Archie Walter is the passenger
Driver is ranch hand, Dan Encinas
approx 1934, the year of Archie's death

When my Uncle Archie was sixteen years old and attending Coast Union High School in Cambria, he wanted to join the football team. My grandfather would not hear of it and refused to sign the consent form. My mother always said she loved her brother very much and hated to see him sad so she agreed to forge her dad's signature so Archie could join the team. Archie did join the team and was able to keep that fact along with his uniform, hidden from my grandfather. 

Back in the 1930s, football helmets were made of leather and didn't offer the same protection as helmets of today. During one of Coast Unions football practices, Archie was tackled and accidentally cleated in the head, his helmet of little help. My understanding from my mother was he tried to hide the fact it had happened at first but quickly became ill to the point of having to go to hospital. Within three days of the accident, Archie was septic and died. 

The newspaper articles I've read say his body lay in wake at a funeral parlor however my mother always said she remembered his casket in their downstairs parlor. I'm not really sure of the details and I suppose they don't really matter, in the end. I do know, it was always a sad shadow over my mother. Tonight, as I type out this story, I have to smile thinking they are back together again. 








No comments: