Thursday, April 15, 2021

The Power of the Unexpected

This last week has been completely full of the unexpected. Just when I needed it the most, pleasant surprises seemed to show up unannounced day after day. It's so easy to miss these moments of joy if we're closed off and angry, which is where I end up when I allow too much of this world into my life these days. Social media, the news, negative people, can overwhelm an already sinking soul. I know. Then, just when you throw a big stinking, "I quit" out into the universe, God throws back the most amazing response through the most unexpected. 



Do you know what happens when someone you love and admire gives you a bottle of wine that not only let's you know they love you back but also offers validation to who you are at your very core? You cry a few happy tears and you get excited to keep going forward because you feel seen and heard and maybe even just a bit encouraged that what you're doing really does matter. All that in a bottle of wine? Definitely in this one! Thank you Terri. I am so grateful to be loved by you, my friend and I can't wait to head your way sooner than later.



I can't even begin to put into words the happy shock these flowers were when they arrived. I sent a few photos to one of my sister's long-time friends. It was a small act on my part and I hoped they would bring some smiles. I never, not once, expected to receive these beautiful flowers with such sweet words of thanks. Again, a few happy tears were shed along with a flood of memories that made me smile. Especially when I remembered a day spent with her, Kelly's friend, at a horse ranch. Just the two of us because she knew I loved horses and so she offered to share her time with her horse with me. This  thoughtful gift of roses and carnations brought it all back and the feeling of gratitude I had that day. Thank you, Pam. Your thoughtfulness is appreciated more than I can express. Once again, you reminded me how kind people can be.



Then these two weirdos showed up just when I needed them the most. And what was going to be a few days has turned into almost a week. I just about cried when they said they could stay longer. Not just that they could but they wanted to. When your cousins who are also some of the closest people in the world to you, choose you over peace and quiet, well, that's just some serious love right there. It has been daily belly laughing and for anyone that doesn't know, laughter is truly medicine to the soul. Thank you Cher and Kel for choosing us this week over anything else. I can't tell you what this has done for my heart. I feel so much lighter and that's saying something coming from a fat girl. I love you both.



I did not see this one coming and it absolutely brought me to tears. My sweet sister-in-law sent a completely unexpected package filled with family heirlooms. The handmade cloths and napkins were given to her by her grandmother and the darling china dishes from Germany were her mother's when she was a little girl. There is also a plate that's a surprise for one of my children so I didn't show it. The best gift in this box is her letter to me. I cannot begin to describe how much someone's written words mean to me. They are sharing a piece of themselves with you and there is no greater gift than that. Thank you, Carol. I love every item in this box and will make sure it goes to the grandchildren we discussed. I love you and I'm grateful you're my family.



And finally, my dear cousin, Wendy. We have been family for decades, since the day she married my cousin, Jeff. I have loved her and been thankful for her but truthfully, we have spent little time together due to geographic distance. This week, what began as a thank you text for some photos I had mailed to her ended up being one of the most wonderful conversations we have ever had. I am so grateful for this family and so proud of each of them. They have chosen well in one another and continue to set the example of what family means. Thank you, Wendy, for your willingness to share your heart with me and for your constant kindness towards me and my family. We love you and your three men more than words can express. 

I am so grateful for this week and my eyes are completely open to how blessed I am. Thank you, God.



No comments: