Monday, April 26, 2021

He Knows A Guy

So, I was working on a post for tonight regarding the slot machine in our living room when I ran across this little beauty of a photo. Of course, the memories started flooding my brain and well, I just have to tell this story first before I lose it. No, seriously, I can't remember why I walked into the kitchen so believe me when I say, I gotta write this down or it's gone like the wind.





Ok, so I have no idea who the dude on the left is but I'm betting he's a friend of the dude on the right. The dude on the right is my brother-in-law, Ron. The gal in the middle is Elke Sommer, the actress. I have no idea where this was taken but probably some fancy shindig with my sister and parents. It wasn't really unusual to see movie stars because my parents knew quite a few through boxing. Actually, I have a lot of photos with my parents hanging with these folks. I even have my dad's address book with some phone numbers and addresses of fancy people. All that to say, it's not that weird to stumble across a picture of Ron schmoozing with Elke Sommer.




It's absolutely not weird to see Ron busting up with Elke Sommer. That's what Ron does. He's a schmoozer extraordinaire. Ron is one of the most fun people I know and hanging out with him is a guaranteed good time. So why am I telling you all this? Because the Elke Sommer pictures reminded me of the time Ron introduced me to one of his closest friends, Mayor Tom Bradley.




I had a great picture of Ron with Mayor Bradley but I must have already sent it to Ron. Anyway, this is Mayor Tom Bradley. Our family had great respect for Mayor Bradley, so much so that my father invited him to the World Boxing Hall of Fame dinner as his guest one year. Mayor Bradley, who was quite the popular public figure at the time, graciously accepted and my dad made sure he and his guests had the best table at the front of the ballroom. Mayor Bradley was seated within ten feet of the inductees who were some of the best of the best boxers of our time. Our family table where Ron and I were seated was maybe twenty feet behind Mayor Bradleys.

I have met quite a few famous people through my dad. I rarely geeked out because it's just not my thing. However, when Mayor Bradley walked into the ballroom and was seated at his table, I was geeking. I thought so highly of him and was so pleased that he would support the WBHF, I could hardly contain myself. Ron, noticing my excitement, offered to introduce me to Mayor Bradley. Our conversation went something like this, as I recall:

"Hey Mar, you wanna meet Tom? We're personal friends."

"Ron, you are not personal friends with Tom Bradley."

"No, really, I am. We golf together sometimes. Do you want to meet him?"

" You're lying! You do not golf with Tom Bradley."

"Ok, I'm going to prove to you that Tom Bradley and I are friends."

With that, Ron gets up and makes his way over to Mayor Bradley's table. When Mayor Bradley sees Ron approaching him, he stands up and reaches out to shake hands with Ron. I am watching the two of them smiling and laughing, completely shocked. Finally, they both look my way, Ron is waving me over and Mayor Tom Bradley is smiling at me. I can't even believe this is happening as I make my way over to his table.

As soon as I reach the two men, Ron introduces me to Mayor Bradley who warmly shakes my hand and says something nice which I don't remember because I was in full blown geek mode by now. We say our goodbyes and as we're walking back to our table our conversation goes something like this:

"Oh, my gosh, Ron! I can't believe you really know Tom Bradley!!"

"Mar, I've never met the guy before in my life."

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my brother-in-law.

No comments: