Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Everything Old Is New Again

I'm so happy right now. We just made it home from spending the evening with my friend Terri and her family. I love these people and have for decades. We are absolutely old friends in every sense of the word old. ha!

Terri's youngest son and his growing family live in Jacksonville Beach so we met at their home first for a drink and some great conversation. We shared some old photos and shed a few tears. We also shared some old stories and jokes and lots and lots of laughter. It was absolutely medicine for the soul to be with them all again after so long.

I love these folks so much. 


Brandis, Chandler, Tristan, Terri, Bob, Me, Justin and Jessica, 
outside of the Dockside Seafood Restaurant. 

The last time I saw Brandis and Justin, Terri's two youngest children, they were tiny little munchkins. To see them all grown up, with children of their own, was amazing. Although, Terri agreed with me about still seeing our kids as babies. I love these kids. I always have. Seeing them again was wonderful because when you find your people, you just know, and no matter how much time passes since you were last together, it's like no time has passed once you reconnect. This was our first time meeting Jessica and we love her. She and Justin are going to be wonderful parents this fall. I'm so excited for them and really looking forward to holding their new baby. Is there anything better than that new baby smell? 

Terri and I sat together at dinner so we could catch up. She remarried two years ago and we haven't met her husband yet so I was happy to hear all about him and his family. We promised to go visit them in Nashville soon so we can spend time together and get to know Brent. That is a promise we will absolutely be keeping in the near future.

As we drove home tonight, I found myself going over the evening in my head. There was, and always will be, so much history between us. Terri and I talked and laughed and cried about so many things that only we understand because only we shared that part of our lives. Wonderful times of supporting and loving one another as young mothers and wives which helped shape us into the women we are today. I am so grateful for that history with my friend and I will always cherish what we shared. 

But it occured to me this evening, that even though we are the same as we always were in some ways, we've also changed in other ways. Life has changed us both. It does that to people. Those changes have given us the chance to build a new relationship on the foundation that's already there. This is really exciting to me. Terri is still the same person but there are so many new and exciting pieces of her life I want to know. It's like meeting again for the first time only this time, we know how the story goes. 


Just like the saying, we'll be friends til we're old and senile, then we'll be new friends. 

No comments: