Sunday, April 25, 2021

This Is Why I Don't Do Drugs. Usually.

I have these weird goals and I always remind every doctor I see. I want to live to be at least 100 and be drug-free. It's not that I'm against medicine, I just have to really need it. I mean like, I'm dying and I have to take something. Oh, and I would have also tried all my weird hippie cures first. I'm just a big believer in the idea that we are over-medicated. Every doctor I have ever had knows, don't give me drugs because I probably won't take them. Unless some creature bites me.

I am one of those super lucky folks that is allergic to just about every damn thing that bites. Of course, this means that the biters love me and seek me out. I can't count how many times over the last 45 years, I've ended up in the ER with an allergic reaction. It's ridiculous. One time, I woke up early in the morning, I think somewhere around 5 AM, and I had the strangest feeling. Like something just wasn't right. I got up to use the bathroom and when I turned on the light and saw myself in the mirror, I had a full-blown panic attack. My bottom lip was so swollen that it hung down like the African women that wear plates in their lips. The entire bottom half of my face was out of whack. As I held my face, jumping around screaming for Bob to get up, my normally low blood pressure did what it does when I do my panic dance. It dropped even lower, I passed out and came around to Bob standing over me asking what I was doing on the floor. So helpful. 

So, this morning when I woke up and had that weird, oh crap something bit me on my lip feeling, I jumped out of bed, checked my lip and sure enough, I was starting to swell up. Having decades of experience with this nonsense at this point, I grabbed a Benadryl and kissed the day goodbye. Yep, one stupid little pink pill and I'm done. I am not joking when I say, I literally slept all day today. I'd wake up for 30 minutes and try to accomplish something then have to go lay back down and I'd be out again for hours. It's ridiculous but this is my reaction to Benadryl every single time. It's better than being a fathead.

I don't think Bob hated today either. Maybe this is God's way of giving the guy a break now and then.


I have a love-hate relationship with this little pink pill. 



No comments: