Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Aunt Hazel

I never knew my Aunt Hazel. She was only thirty-nine years old when she passed away from cancer, three years before I was born. I grew up hearing some wonderful stories though, about her and her husband, Uncle Homer. I'll share what I've heard and hopefully, if I get any of it wrong, my cousin Maureen will set me straight. 


Paning, Norman, Uncle Homer, Aunt Hazel, Nonna?, Bernice (my mom) with Beverly, and Barbara

I really love this picture for so many reasons. One of those reasons is Paning. He was from Switzerland and would come out to Aunt Meta's ranch while I was there as a little kid. I remember his thick accent and the fancy cookies he would bring Aunt Meta. He always reminded me of one of Santa's elves because he was small and happy and loved all of us kids. I really liked him and have often wondered what happened to him. He seemed to just disappear one day, so I wonder if he went back to Switzerland. Or maybe, he's at the North Pole. Hey! It could happen.

I only have a few photos of my Aunt Hazel and Uncle Homer but this one is extra special to me because it includes their children, my cousins Barbara and Norman and my mother. I have quite a few pictures from this Easter day with so many of the cousins, aunts, uncles and friends. Whenever I look through them, I'm bummed I wasn't there. I can imagine how amazing it must have been to be a part of it all in the late 1940s/early 1950s. 

My sister Char, has told me so many wonderful stories of staying at Aunt Hazel's house. She said the house was always full of people and food, wine and music. I love hearing how Uncle Homer had a barrel of homemade wine in the basement along with sausages hanging up to dry. Upstairs, my uncle and his band would be playing music as people danced and sang. One of the best gifts I ever received was from my cousin Maureen. She sent me a recording of one of those parties at Aunt Hazel and Uncle Homer's house. I haven't listened to it in awhile but I plan on getting it out this week. If I remember correctly, even my Grandma and Grandpa Casas are on it. Just thinking about it has me pretty excited to give it another listen. I might even let you know what I hear. 


Barbara, Maureen, Norman, Charlene, Marvin Paolini, Mickey

This picture is framed and hangs on my bedroom wall. I love this picture of my sister Char and our cousins along with family friend, Marvin Paolini. Speaking of Marvin, I have a picture of him as a pre-teen riding his horse through Cayucos while he's holding me. I couldn't be six months old. This is what happens when you have a sister twelve years older than you. She drags you along on her adventures and passes you around like a doll. But that's another story for another day.

Aunt Hazel's daughter Barbara, is my first cousin. There is a nineteen year difference between us but honestly, I adore Barbara. She has always been really good to me and later to my husband and children. I doubt she knows this but there have been many times, when we're together, that I find myself staring at her wondering if she got her mannerisms from Aunt Hazel. Barbara has a great laugh and I wish I knew if it sounds like her mother's laugh. Either way, I'm so grateful that even though my aunt was never a part of my life other than through memories, her wonderful daughter has been a very important part of what has made my life really good. 

I've already told some stories about my cousin Norman in earlier posts. There are so many more I could tell but the thing I want to say tonight about Norman is this. He was a good man. Norman had his issues just like the rest of us, but down in the very core of who he was, there was a wounded little boy who lost his mother way too soon. I can't even imagine what he went through. What I knew of Norman was that he was always there for Bob and I anytime we needed help with something. He wasn't a lovey dovey dude. When I would force him to hug me and give me a kiss, he always acted embarrassed but I didn't care. I loved him. Oh sure, he locked me in the closet when I was little and pinned me under the kitchen table with his feet at the ranch but Aunt Meta took care of that. He never did it again. Ha! 


Uncle Homer's Band

As I was digging through my mother's treasures, I found a small stack of these original posters. I can't even tell you how excited I was to have these in my possession. I was not only able to send one to my cousin Sergio in Switzerland, I also had enough to share with Aunt Hazel's grandchildren, and a few nieces including the one I kept. This will soon be framed and hung on the wall in our home. I can't help but smile every time I look at this poster. I can almost hear the music and taste the salami and wine.









No comments: