Tuesday, May 11, 2021

“That doesn’t leave much time for dilly-dallying.”

I am working ridiculous hours right now, trying to finish putting my house back together, mail out more photos, buy a new car, get ready to fly to Texas for a week and make sure my chickens are well fed. All that to say, you're getting re-hash for blog dinner tonight, so take it or leave it, kids.

I decided to share this post I wrote eleven years ago for a very specific reason. I actually have friends that haven't seen The Princess Bride and it pains me. Hopefully, this will give them the gumption to get onboard and watch this classic flick.

And now, for your viewing pleasure....

I'm Not A Witch; I'm Your Wife.

Ok, let me start off by saying I am completely obsessed with the movie, The Princess Bride. There is something about the ridiculousness of it that I get. That should tell you a thing or two about me.

Here's another thing about me you probably don't want to know.The last week of February has been especially tough for me emotionally. It has been a crappy week every stinking year for the last eight years. My mom died February 28, 2002. No matter how much I think I am good to go, every year I get freaky the last week in February. Most of the time I don't even realize I am doing it until something or someone points it out to me. Of course, on top of that, my dad died four months ago. So, there you go. Butts and Ashes.

Anyway, as I have processed through the week as much as I could, missing my parents, missing my sisters, missing the old me, before I was a witch, I thought of The Princess Bride. The lines in that movie are classic sick. My kind of humor. Then I thought about my parents, also classic sick. My kind of people. So I said to myself, "Self, what better way to honor the old coots and snap out of this funk than to put some of your favorite TPB lines to pictures." Of course, what could I say but, "Wow, self....you are a genius!"


"It just so happens that your friend here is only mostly dead.
There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.”


"Mawwage is what bwings us togwether today....”


"This is true love... you think this happens everyday?"


"When he said, "As you wish”,
 what he really meant was, “I love you.”




So thanks Chuck and Bernie. Thanks for being an "us" so I could be a part of an "us". You taught me more than you know. I get it. I understand. Life .... marriage .... is about two imperfect people coming together in the hopes of making it through .... together. That, and embarrassing your children as often as possible. You'd be really proud to know, I am doing a bang up job on that last part. The legacy of crazy lives on.


“I'll explain, and I'll be sure to use small words so that you'll be sure to understand. You wart-hog-faced-buffoon!”


"Surrender!
You mean you wish to surrender to me?
Very well, I accept.”


"Since the invention of the kiss, there have only been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind.”




“As you wish."



"In the meantime, rest well and dream of large women.”

No comments: