Saturday, May 8, 2021

Biltmore Estate

What a day! We made it to North Carolina last night and spent today roaming the Biltmore Estate. This place is amazing. If you ever get the chance to visit, do it. The gardens alone are worth the trip and then there's the wonderful house with such a fantastic history. I'm so glad Cher and Kel made this happen. Thanks, cousins!



It was so interesting to see the sign on a main street corner that appeared to lead to a rather ordinary neighborhood. But, once we turned on this street and headed up the hill, it turned into pure magic. The drive to the 8,000 acre estate is through an absolute wooded wonderland.



The house is magnificent. I've been to Hearst Castle at least twenty times in my life and it's wonderful in a museum sort of way. Biltmore Estate felt more like a home. A ginormous, amazing home, but still, a home. And the people who work here are absolutely all about Southern hospitality. I can't tell you how many times I was told by different employees they hoped we'd come see them again. But not in a Wal Mart greeter kind of way. You can tell this place belongs to each one of them in an endearing way.



The views from the property are stunning. So many of the rooms were specifically built around the view and you could understand why once you stood in those same spots the family stood in decades ago.



The sights, sounds and smells of nature were completely intoxicating. I could have stood here watching the horses out on the hills and listening to the birds for hours.



The conservatory was not to be missed. They have just about every plant imaginable and a miniature train that runs through the main building, through the plants. This is another spot where I could have sat for hours and just soaked in all the beauty. Thanks again, Cher for talking us into this and thank you Kelly for pushing me around all day. I had to use a wheelchair because my foot is still too swollen to walk too far at one time so Kelly volunteered. Of course, this meant lots of threats to roll me down hills or into bushes which pretty much was what I did when my sister was in a wheelchair so....karma, baby. ha!


This outdoor sculpture is named Free as a Bird and was built onsite by artist, Patrick Dougherty. One of the employees gave us her undivided attention for quite awhile and answered all our questions about this amazing piece. Photos don't do it justice. It feels magical especially wandering through the inside of it.



My understanding is it took seventeen days and six men to weave this piece using willow from New York. Check out the top. It reminds me of the finishing stitch on the edge of a blanket when I crochet. Just amazing.



Here's another interesting thing. They used no tools. Just their gloved hands. Crazy!



I'm so glad we were able to see this amazing piece of art in this amazing place. I hope to come back here again when I can walk every inch of the house and grounds. We may even ride horses next time.





No comments: