Thursday, February 11, 2021

You've Got Mail

In 2002, I had the opportunity to go to work for America Online, which was later branded AOL. I hadn't worked outside of our home for twenty-five years so this felt like quite the thrilling adventure to forty-four year old me. AOL OKC was a call center so I began my journey on the phones answering incoming calls from customers wanting to cancel their account. My job was to find the root issue and resolve the problem in order to save the account. It felt like detective work and I loved it. The call center environment was also a lot of fun with so many diverse people along with the constant buzz on the floor. Also, the team to team competition was right up my alley and I adored my coach, Jeremy Brown, so I was really happy there.

After a year on the phones, I was promoted to Coach for ten months, followed by 10 months in HR, with my final promotion to Rewards and Recognition Program Manager. I mean, seriously, they gave me a bazillion dollars a year budget that had to be spent on rewarding and recognizing employees. I was a party planner, getting paid really well to have a good time with the 900+ people I worked with. I come from a big family who likes to have a good time so, piece of cake!

I met so many great people during my five years with AOL. Some I simply remember fondly, and some I stay in contact with still. This is the story of one of my favorite AOL people.


Chuck Johnson (communications manager), Tracey (executive assistant), Bob (my right-hand man) and Marla A Hansen (Rewards and Recognition Program Manager) because they couldn't come up with a longer title for me. 


Upper Management, Middle Management and the Party Planner. 

I first met Chuck Johnson when I was in training. Our first week as trainees was spent filling out paperwork, learning the ins and outs of AOL and meeting management. Each manager had their own style and flair but Chuck Johnson was a whole nother kind of wonderful. Chuck was a big guy, former OU football player, with a deep, booming voice and a laugh that could be heard across the call center. He tried really hard to come across as serious and all business but it didn't take me long to figure out he was all about monkey business as well. I loved the guy right off and looked forward to working with him. 

My first year on the phones I had limited interactions with Chuck. We would say hello in passing or in the cafeteria while grabbing coffee. He was quick to congratulate me when I was promoted to coach and my team ended up sitting right outside his office window which was floor to almost ceiling. This gave us opportunity to annoy and harass him on the regular, not that he didn't dish it right back. Like the time he came out of his office and into my cubicle. He stood there in my doorway, glaring at me and said he needed me to follow him to the office. Now, I completely understood when a manager walked an employee to the front office, that was never a good thing. In other words, they weren't coming back. I asked him what was up and he just said, "Grab your keys and follow me please." For a split second, I froze in fear trying to imagine what I could have possibly done wrong. I immediately picked up my keys and started to follow him through the call center maze. I asked Chuck several times what was happening, but he wouldn't answer. That's when it hit me. He couldn't look at me because this was one of his revenge practical jokes for a prank I had recently pulled on him. I started to whimper, "Oh, please Chuck, don't fire me. I have children to feed." Then I started laughing and continued my whoa is me speech. We were almost to the back entrance to HR by this point when he finally stopped, looked at me and boomed, " Oh Mylanta! How did you know this was a joke?" This back and forth lasted between us the entire time I worked there and I loved it. 

In 2007, my dad's dementia was getting more serious. He lived with us with full time caregivers but I felt pulled to quit my job so I could take care of my dad. I knew our time was growing shorter. The problem was, I loved my job and the people I worked with. The day I decided I needed to make a decision, I walked into Chuck's office and asked if we could talk. I guess, from the look on my face, he knew it was serious. He closed the office blinds and door and I started to cry. Chuck knew my dad by this time so when I told him how I was feeling, his eyes filled with tears. He encouraged me to go home and be with my dad. We agreed I would finish out the next three months, training someone to take my position. Those last three months were my best and worst but through it all, Chuck was constantly there, supporting me and reminding me I was doing the right thing. 

My last day at AOL, one of the managers came to my office. She said I was needed right away in another managers office. As I followed her, chatting like I usually did, I suddenly realized she had led me to the middle of the call center floor. Employees with their headsets on were standing, waving, blowing kisses and clapping. I was totally confused. That's when someone put their arm around me and told me everyone was saying goodbye. Chuck had sent out a communication to the floor letting them know I was going on my farewell tour through the call center and to wish me well. Of course, I started to blubber and hug people and make a total buffoon out of myself but I'll never forget that moment. Chuck made that happen.

Over the last thirteen years, since I left AOL, Chuck and I have stayed in touch with phone calls every few years and with FaceBook. Once you have a Chuck Johnson in your life, you don't want to let them go. January 25th, 2021, at the age of 54 years young, my friend, Chuck Johnson, did go. He passed away from COVID. I still can't believe this has happened. I will never forget him. The world needs more Chuck Johnsons.