Monday, February 22, 2021

Like Mother, Like Daughter

I'm really excited! We've donated a photo album from what we believe is the 1950's to the Cayucos Historical Society. I absolutely love the idea of these photos being displayed for others to enjoy and maybe even catch a glimpse of a family friend or relative from days gone by. My mother would be so happy knowing this album is headed back to Cayucos where it belongs. 

I have actually laughed a few times lately thinking about my mom and all her treasures she left to me. Right after our mother died, we girls read the note she left us telling how she wanted her things divided between us. Jewelry, art work and other valuable items were to be split between my sisters. My mother left me anything and everything that was paper. Yes, paper. My sisters felt really sorry for me because I received no diamonds or Lladros or other crap they were left. I, on the other hand, was ecstatic. I knew my mother had massive bins full of papers and photos. I also knew that's where the real valuables were. My mother knew exactly who I was and what her gift would mean to me. She also knew I would go through every single thing in those tubs and send them off to where they belonged. That's exactly what I'm doing.

It took me twelve years to start going through my mom's tubs of treasures. I just couldn't face it. Even now, I have to do a day at a time and then take a break. The undertow of memories can be too much some days. But most days, even with the tears that come, I am so extremely grateful that I was the one Bernie entrusted this journey to.

So, when you visit Cayucos, and you really should, be sure to stop at the Vet's Hall and tour the Cayucos Historical Society there. Think of Bernice and Charles and the entire Walters family as you walk through town, remembering some of these stories you've read. There are more to tell in the days ahead.


Aunt Meta and Uncle Loren's barn. One of my favorite places on Earth.


Downtown Cayucos, 1950's. This may have been my Aunt Ruth's old car she kept in her garage. I believe it was only used for parades in later years. Cass House is on the left in the background and the old gas station and Cayucos Garage is behind that. Uncle Joe and Aunt Sisi's house is next to the Garage. The ocean is on the right. Al's Sporting Goods which had a restaurant as well is in the background with the Vet's Hall and pier behind it. 


Cayucos Garage


Pereira's Grill & Fountain 


Uncle Joe Silva, Cayucos Fire Chief and Roy Genardini, Cayucos Constable



My Aunts, Ruth Brum and Sylvia (Sisi) Silva sitting on the far left. I recognize the other three ladies but can't recall their names.


No comments: