Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sometimes, You Just Know Everything Before You Know

The minute I laid eyes on you, I knew I loved you. I knew I wanted to marry you. I knew I wanted to have children with you. I have no idea how I knew all that but I knew. And when you looked at me the way you looked at me, I knew you knew too. You just didn't know it yet.




It wasn't long before I told you I loved you. You didn't say it right away but I knew you knew you did. And when you finally knew that you knew, you let me know too.




From that day on, we were inseparable. The next four years flew by. There were proms and parties and plans being made in secret. In hearts and souls.




And then you asked. You asked on bended knee, out in the forest. It was suppose to be a picnic but you knew it was much more that day. And for once I didn’t know, until you asked. Then I knew too.





All at once, I was happy and scared because I knew I would screw it all up. I knew you were too good for me. I knew I would never deserve you. But I said yes anyway, because I knew you loved me and I loved you.





So we married and all my dreams and all my fears came true. I did screw it all up and ruined everything. You were too good for me and I didn't deserve you. But you loved me. And loved me. And loved me. I knew I had never been loved like that before and never would be again. And that changed me, forever. Before we knew what hit us, ten years passed with births and deaths and life happened and we were happy. I knew it could never get any better because you were the best.




You knew the truth, though. You knew it would only get better because that's what happens when two people really love each other. It gets better...




and better...




and better...




Then before you know it, thirty-four years have passed. You think back to dancing at your wedding and you smile....




because you realize, you are still dancing all these years later. Only now you know all the same steps and everyone's toes are much safer.




I love you, Bob Hansen. There is not another man on the face of this earth I would rather spend a minute with much less a lifetime. Happy 34th anniversary. You're my everything.



35 comments:

Blasé said...

someone please hand me a tissue...

J.J. in L.A. said...

Awwwwwwww!!!!! : )

Congratulations!!!

Teresa said...

that is soooo sweet! what a cute, adorable couple you make. congratulations and may God grant you many, many more years together.

Parsley said...

Beautiful! It's such a blessing to marry your soul mate and best friend. Congrats!

Ms. A said...

The tribute to your marriage and husband, including photos is very touching AND, THEN YOU TOPPED IT OFF WITH A GREAT SONG! Here's to the next 34 and more!

Silver Strands said...

Wowie. Two very lucky people ... CONGRATULATIONS. Now ~ here's to a whole bunch more years, and to the return of your cynical, witty posts :)
oxox
Denalee

Coby said...

You were trying to get your readers to cry, weren't you? Well, it worked. This is just beautiful. And that first picture of your hubby rockin' the 70s fashion and hair, well, that just made me grin! Happy anniversary!

justsomethoughts... said...

2 very lucky people, indeed.

CiCi said...

I have to show my Hubby this post. We love to see people in love and you two are awesome. This post is a beautiful story of true love.

Tgoette said...

Awesome tribute to Bob and your wonderful years together! I'm with Blasé,is it raining in here? LOL! Congrats to the both of you!

P.S. - That song is perfection!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Oh Marla, That was beautiful. Happy anniversary. May your love continue to grow.
Cheers,
jj

Andrea said...

Beautiful Marla. Simply beautiful.

Happy Anniversary to you both!

Enchanted Oak said...

You two make a spectacular couple. Not cheesy like some famous twosome in STARS magazine or whatever that drivel is called. But real. The kind of beautiful that a sunrise is. Or a sunset. Or a bean sprout coming out of the dark earth.
As you age together, you take on a different kind of beauty. Smiles among gray hair. A fun kiss while wearing size Don't Mention It. It's all good. I'm happy for your 34 years.
And also glad those aviator glasses in your wedding dance went the way of the dodo bird.

My Life in Purple said...

Lov, love, love this!! My parents just celebrated their 32nd on the 24h this year!

Many more years for you and Bob :)

Kfred said...

Ok, now that story pulled the strings of the hearts of readers and was very tender, but really, when does the defense get to present their case?

C'mon, I'm just kidding; 34 years didn't happen by luck! It happened because of hard work, commitment, and perseverance.

Congrats to both of you!

Monkey Man said...

congrats. great pics. 34 years is a huge accomplishment.

Nancy C said...

Just gorgeous, Marla. So wonderful to hear these stories.

Claudya Martinez said...

I love you both! That was amazing!!! You guys have created a beautiful love story. Thank you for the wonderful example. I'm can't stop crying.

Anonymous said...

Holy Shitaki we are old cuz I remember you both since the beginning. Happy Anniversary you old crows. Hugs and love ya. Cher

Sarah said...

Happy anniversary!!! How I envy you...

Marla said...

Thanks, everyone!

Wendy said...

Oh that was just so perfectly wonderfull to read. My parents are celebrating 50 years in a few weeks time. I can't wait to share that day with them. Cheers, Wendy

Two Shades of Pink said...

Very touching, Marla.

Michelle said...

tears in my eyes! Congratulations!

Amarja said...

Marla this made me cry!

jp said...

That is beautiful! God Bless you both and I wish you many more years!

Mrs4444 said...

Oh, man! This is fantastic!! I love it!! Thank you so much for linking up; this is exactly what I was talking about! So glad I didn't miss this.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Healing Morning said...

Hi Marla, I just popped over from Writers Rising to check out your blog. Now I'm following you & want to ask two things:

1) Are you on Facebook? If so, please look me up under Dawn Sievers and send me a friend request!

2) If you are on Facebook, please type in Authentic Blogger in your FB search bar and join this group. I am the co-founder of Authentic Blogger & it's a wonderful community of bloggers who taking interacting on an authentic level very seriously. Hope to see you there! (If you can't find me via my name on FB, you'll definitely be able to find me on the AB Facebook group page.)

I love your writing & look forward to more. Oh, and I also loved this love letter to your husband & your marriage. The trip down Memory Lane via the 1970s brought back memories of my childhood!

Namaste',
Dawn

michelle said...

Found you via Mrs 4444. Excellent choice. Reading this just made me smile from ear to ear. No tears here, just shivers. YAY for true love!

Lizzie said...

blurry monitor, beautiful post on Saturday Sampler.

Beth Zimmerman said...

Oh THAT was beautiful!

Christy said...

awwww, I'm tearing up...what an absolutely beautiful post. Congratulations!

Laura said...

Awwww! Such great memories for you & your husband. There is so much divorce in the world today, it always makes me smile when I see a couple who has made it through. Happy Anniversary! (late)

Stopping by from Saturady Sampling.

Dorcas said...

beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

~Dorcas

Lola Sharp said...

Awww! I love that we have such great husbands. You and I are proof that real, long term, faithful happy marriages DO EXIST.

CONGRATS!